Dealer Succession

Special Report: Transitioning to the Next Generation of Dealers

Ideas for Marketing & Web Sales at Central Equipment

Central Equipment serves 3 distinct markets between the horse farms, commercial lawn and turf contractors and homeowners. Our sales are split is about 40% small agriculture, which is mostly horse farms, and 25% homeowners and 35% commercial users. This means we need to market differently to each one.
Read More

Re-Enlisting Now to Support the Pending Generational Turns

I’ve always wanted to be prepared enough to work for the company, but I wasn’t always sure if my interests would bring me here. I did know that if I decided to go to work here, it needed to the last career decision I made. People deserved that type of commitment. The rule is that, as family members, we don’t have the blessing to join the business until we’re ready and have the capacity to give 100%.
Read More

Succession Without Ownership

I grew up working on a farm and decided I wanted to do something in that field. I went to Blackhawk Technical College, a local college that had an agribusiness program, but I still didn't really know what I wanted to do after graduation.
Read More

Bringing Service & Parts Together

If I had to pick a key defining moment, I think it would be bringing our parts and service departments together. There used to be a wall between the two. It was like two separate unions and they were fighting separate battles. I brought them together to and now everybody is fighting for the same thing the extra sale and customer satisfaction compared to when it was the shop guys vs. the parts guys.
Read More

Starting from Scratch

When Ron Hendershot asked me about coming to work for his dealership, truthfully I'm not really sure why I said yes to this new challenge. Before coming here 2 years ago, I had no ag background. My uncle farms cotton near Plainview, Texas, but other than that the only thing I knew about a tractor was it had a brake and a gas pedal. My only connection to ag was the fact that I was married to Ron's daughter, Jessica.
Read More

Staying Ahead of Our Customers: The Future Demands Continuous Learning

Our customer base is livestock oriented. It includes small hay farmers, custom hay farmers, dairies and hobby farmers. We are beginning to see a growing number of absentee owners as well. A majority of them have no real agricultural experience, kind of like me, and they hire people to look after their land.
Read More
From the Desk of Dave Kanicki

Perspectives on Succession Planning

We just finished up our special report for the June issue of Farm Equipment, and I have to say that it was one of the more enjoyable projects I've participated in for some time because it gave me a glimpse into the future of the farm equipment business.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings