New Holland launched its first Tier 4 Final compliant tractors at the recent Farm Progress Show in Decatur, Ill. In line with New Holland’s long-established roadmap, all high horsepower products feature ECOBlue Hi-eSCR technology, and maintain the outstanding efficiency and productivity that customers have come to expect from New Holland.
“The launch of the Tier 4 Final compliant T7, T8 and T9 tractor ranges at Farm Progress represents an important milestone in our emissions reduction roadmaps,” stated Abe Hughes, Vice President, New Holland North America. “The ECOBlue Hi-eSCR solution delivers consistency, performance, simplicity and efficiency. Furthermore, our longsighted approach is paying consistency dividends, as SCR is now universally accepted as the industry standard for high horsepower machines.”
ECOBlue Hi-eSCR Technology
Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emissions will be reduced by 95% at Tier 4 Final compared to Tier 1 levels, and SCR technology is the most efficient way of achieving this. Developed by New Holland’s sister company FPT Industrial, both the engines and the after treatment system have been tailored to comply with New Holland customer specific requirements, thus creating the ECOBlue Hi-eSCR, High Efficiency Selective Catalytic Reduction, solution. This proven technology has undergone millions of miles of testing, and clinched the European Truck of the Year 2013 award for the Iveco Stralis Hi-Way heavy duty on-road truck.
The ECOBlue Hi-eSCR system is an evolution of the existing ECOBlue SCR system, and it is protected by seven different patents. This system has the highest NOx conversion efficiency in the industry, while maintaining or improving the productivity of the machine. The new Engine Control Unit not only manages the engine, but also the Hi-eSCR after treatment system by controlling the supply and dosing modules. Using a dedicated closed loop system, it continuously monitors the NOx levels in the exhaust gases, ensuring that during every cycle the precise amount of DEF/AdBlue is injected to achieve NOx conversion of over 95%, while guaranteeing low fluid consumption.
The key new components of FPT Industrial’s system are:
- Patented closed loop system. Using additional sensors located at the exhaust outlet of the engine, precise levels of NOx are recorded for exact DEF/AdBlue dosing. This enables the neutralization of even more NOx, without excessive DEF/AdBlue consumption.
- Engine exhaust flap ensures the engine always operates at its optimum temperature, and it delivers efficient NOx conversion upon start up.
- Diesel Oxidization Catalyst oxidizes the exhaust gas, guaranteeing the optimal mix between Nitrogen Oxide (NO) and Nitrogen Dioxide (NO²), increasing the conversion efficiency in the SCR catalyst.
- Patented mixing pipe with an optimized fluid dynamic design. Delivering optimal exhaust gas and DEF/AdBlue mixing for the highest NOx conversion rates (over 95%) and the best use of the catalyst’s surfaces, to ensure the most efficient use of DEF/AdBlue.
- Clean up catalyst removes excess NH3 (Ammonia).
ECOBlue Hi-eSCR technology offers four key customers benefits:
- Performance: the productivity increases which customers enjoyed at Tier 4A, in terms of power, torque, torque back-up, transient response and engine power management, will be maintained at Tier 4 Final.
- Efficient operation: the fluid consumption (diesel plus DEF/AdBlue) will be the same or better than Tier 4A equivalent machines, and products will enjoy reduced operating costs over their entire lifecycle, including long 600 hour service intervals.
- Simplicity: the simplified engine installation ensures a higher power potential and the reduced cooling system delivers more efficient operation.
- Consistency: ECOBlue SCR technology will continue to be used at Tier 4B and customers will experience no change in vehicle operation.
Upgraded T7 Range
The Tier 4B compliant T7 range is comprised of three standard wheel base models producing between 140-165 rated horsepower, and four long wheelbase models developing from 180 hp right through to the new T7.270 with a higher rated power of 240 hp.
The T7 range’s new features include a new comprehensive HTS II (Headland Turn Sequence) function, which allows even the most complex end of row operation to be recorded, edited and stored. The CommandGrip multifunction handle can now be configured to operate any of the electro hydraulic remote valves. Future tractor automation will come with the new ISOBUS Level 3 compatibility; this means that an implement of a similar level will be able to take control of some key functions on the tractor. The eye-catching Blue Power livery is now available on a wider range of Auto Command models.
The five model Tier 4 Final compliant T8 range has between 320-435 maximum engine power management (EPM) horsepower on tap and benefits from up to an 8% higher EPM band of up to 56 hp to further improve performance when working with the largest implements or on the most challenging terrain.
Key new product features include a HID lighting package, which delivers better lighting performance.
Expanded T9 Range
The Tier 4 Final T9 range continues to be the most powerful articulated tractor on the market: the new T9.700 puts out 699 maximum engine power management horsepower. The additional model, the T9.645, has been introduced following customer requests to bridge the gap between the T9.600 and the range topping T9.700.
Operating performance has been further refined as steering accuracy has been enhanced together with improvements to the Terralock, automatic differential locking, technology. Shuttling times have been reduced to facilitate fast direction changes, ideal when working on silage pits.