UPDATE 6-15-2021: We are sad to report that on June 12, 2021 Glen Peart passed away after a battle with cancer. 

UPDATE 1-10-2020: We are sad to report that on January 7, 2020 Neil Peart passed away at the age of 67. A representative for the band said he had been battling brain cancer for the last 3 years, an illness that Peart had not disclosed publicly. 

UPDATE 10-21-2019: Glen Peart, father of Neil Peart and a former farm equipment dealer (the former Ontario-based Dalziel Equipment Ltd, where son Neil worked before joining Rush), provided a comment to Farm Equipment’s 2 articles. Click here to jump to Peart's commentary.


Click here to read "Parts Rush: Young Dept. Manager Ends Up in Music Limelight"

Editor’s Note: Thanks to Larry Smith, president of the Ontario, Canada-based O’Neils Farm Equipment, I was able to connect with Glen Peart, retired president of Dalziel Equipment Ltd., to ask a few questions about his son, Neil (of Rush fame), and the International Harvester dealership Glen co-owned and operated (Dalziel Equipment Ltd.) in St. Catharines, Ont.

“You asked me what time it is, and I told you how to make a watch!” the retired Glen Peart writes, adding that “it’s going back many years, but I’ll give you my best shot.” Below are Glen’s memories about his son, in his words, in an email from October 11, 2019.

Memories of Son Neil as Parts Manager

This was a natural fit; he had worked with me for several summers while attending school, was good with numbers and had an easy way with people. But Neil had only one burning passion — “to be a drummer!” He had several local gigs and some local success, but he was disgusted that the other band members did not share his passion.

All the music that Neil wanted to play was coming out of England. At the age of 18 we talked it over and he would be working with me for the summer. I said whatever he could save up, I would double.

In the fall, we built a plywood crate for everything he owned — pretty basic — plus his precious drum kit, and off he went. The pickings were pretty slim; he ended up working for a Canadian who operated a souvenir shop on Carnaby Street in London. Neil was to clean up the old store paint it and get it ready for merchandise to put on the shelves. Neil had been working this project for a few days when the owner popped into the shop and said “I'm going to be away for a few days, the merchandise will be arriving. Could you just open the cartons and put it on the shelves?”

Neil was glad to have the job. As it arrived, he lined it all up on shelves as he had done many times in our dealership. When the owner returned, he was so pleased he said, “Why don’t you stay here and manage this store for me? His dealership experience did pay off!

In the fall of 1973, our dealership won a sales campaign trip to England with many other Canadian dealers and his mother, Betty, and I had the chance to spend a couple of days with him in London. Betty was concerned that he was so thin and pale — the English climate will do that to you — but he was obviously homesick and missed all his friends.

Neil and I had a talk. I said “Neil, you are managing the store here and I have a Parts Dept. that could sure use you!” I know this was working on him and in the New Year (1974), he sent us a note and said “Dad, I’m coming home!” I don't know who was happier — his mom or dad — but it was a celebration!

When he arrived home, we computerized the parts inventory, set up some new controls and he slipped into the position quite comfortably. I know that all of the basics and the experience he had working with all our other employees formed a solid base on several levels that helped him cope with all the new challenges he would be facing!”

The Day the White Corvette Came to the Dealership

Neil had joined a small local band playing only on weekends. Somehow, his reputation had gotten around.

The “White Corvette” visit to our farm equipment dealership has been documented several times. After lunch when the two men left, I could tell that Neil was really tormented. He was certainly not himself.

When we locked the door, he came and sat in my office and unloaded. The two visitors were the managers of Rush, a band from Toronto that were about to hit the big time. They had signed a contract and their first tour was arranged but their drummer had just dropped a bomb on all their plans — for health reasons, he had been told not to travel. The managers wanted Neil to audition ASAP and, if successful, to join the other two guys and start to practice — immediately!

Neil was consumed with guilt because we were just coming into our busy season and he felt he was letting me down. I finally said, “Neil, this could be the chance of your life. We have to talk this over your mother when we get home, but I feel you have to do this. It could be a dream come true and if it doesn't work out, there will still be a Parts Department that can use you!” Obviously, Mom agreed with my thoughts and the rest is history!”

Rush, Farm Equipment Trivia

Students of Rush history and farm machinery may find this piece of trivia interesting. The band’s first live album, All the World’s a Stage, was recorded during three 1976 shows at Toronto's historic Massey Hall.


The 1894-built venue was named for businessman and philanthropist Hart Massey. According to Wikipedia, the 19th century Hart Massey (1823-1896) was of the prominent Massey family, which built the farm equipment that would become Massey Ferguson.

The Massey Manufacturing Co. had been founded by his father, Daniel Massey. In 1851, Hart joined the company and became the sole owner in 1856 upon his father's death. He expanded the company's market to Argentina, Australia, and Europe in the 1880s. He oversaw the merger of Massey Manufacturing with the Harris firm. The company was renamed Massey-Harris. Another merger was made with Patterson-Wisner Company leaving Massey-Harris with 60% of the Canadian agricultural equipment market.

Glen’s Winding Down of the Business; Dealer Association Work

I ran the business, Dalziel Equipment, for a few more years and then closed it. It never did reopen as a dealership. A few years later, my daughter and her husband took me for a little drive in St. Catharines. There was a small shopping mall where our dealership had stood.

As to Ontario Retail Farm Equipment Dealers Association (ORFEDA). The original owner of the dealership (Don Dalziel) was one of the original charter members of ORFEDA and had been always personally involved in its success. So, when I took over his dealership, it was only natural that I joined, became an active member and served as Secretary-Treasurer for 5 years. I knew that the present ORFEDA Manager was due to retire, so I threw my name in the hat. After a round of discussions, the Board of Directors decided to take a chance on a “retread” farm equipment dealer to run ORFEDA. I lasted for 19 years until I retired in 1998 and loved every minute of it — working with people that I trusted and admired!

From Glen Peart, October 11, 2019

Glen Peart commentary on Farm Equipment articles:

Hello Mike, I hope you are out visiting Dealers; that was my favourite part of ORFEDA!

Thank you for that wonderful article. I would echo again "It's the best article ever written about Neil & I!" I sent out the following note to all our Family (Many of them had never heard "the rest of the story") and "kudos" are pouring in. You have given me another "15 minutes of Fame!"   Thank You,  Glen.  


Hi Folks ; I just have to BRAG & send this out, a friend of ours spotted it and sent it to me before we had even seen it. I knew the writer's Father & obviously the son has inherited his talent for doing the research thoroughly, including the relative photos. It's the best story ever written on the relationship between Neil & I. I hope you enjoy it!  Glen